Saturday 19 December 2015

la passacaglia - what to do with the edges?

It's now 50 weeks since I started my la passacaglia on New Year's Eve 2014.  I always expected it to take at least a year, so I'm not concerned that the first anniversary is fast approaching. The good news is that the end is in sight, and it's not languishing in a cupboard.  

la passacaglia

I pulled my quilt out again about a week ago, and I've been tackling all those difficult edge pieces.  Suddenly making nice round rosettes seems easy.  This current stage involves a fair bit of crawling around on the floor, checking back to the pattern, and realigning tape measures.

Some people haven't wanted to cut a straight line on the edges, so they have appliqued their rosettes onto a wide border and retained all the star points. Other people have attached a row of the biggest pentagons (all in the same colour) all the way around the quilt, and then appliqued it to a wide border. 



I'm going to use the method Willyne used when she designed the quilt.  I'm going to be brave and cut the edges.  Then I'll attach a skinny border in a bright vibrant colour (I know, what a surprise), and then a wider border in a special fabric I've already bought. I'll actually attach the skinny border before I cut the quilt because I don't want the pieces to start unraveling on me.



So for the last 3 days I've been crawling around the floor trying to ensure that I have a straight edge where I can cut, and putting together weird filler pieces like this one above.

I'm going to Auckland on Christmas Eve, so I'm packing lots of pieces to take with me. I always take this quilt in my hand luggage on planes - I would be devastated if it was in a suitcase that got lost.



I'm looking forward to seeing my mum's la passacaglia because she's almost finished too.  I'll post a photo of them both together. Here's what hers looked like about 6 weeks ago:



 Of course I haven't mentioned the quilting yet.  That's a whole other story that can be tackled once I've got the top finished.

This will be my last blog post before Christmas, so Merry Christmas everyone.  I hope you have an enjoyable Christmas with friends and family. Thank you all for your kind comments and encouragement during the year. I have got to know some wonderful people from all over the world through this blog.  Best wishes for a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.  love from Wendy.


23 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I think it is lovely and will be with the quilt cut with straight edges - with it all being hand pieced though aren't you afraid of any stitching coming undone - or will machine stitching all around the quilt about a 1/8th inch in do the trick? Love it and have fun on your holiday

Cricket-bug Corner said...

That is gorgeous!!!

margaret said...

this is looking beautiful can`t wait to see it completed and your Mum`s too. have a lovely Christmas I know you will be stitching over the holiday and will have more to show use soon. I have so enjoyed seeing ll you have done this past 12 months some real beauties and so inspiring

Afton Warrick said...

Your top is looking fantastic. I'd have a hard time bringing myself to cut off a single piece, after all that hard work. I do wonder what people have done for the quilting since there is so much going on in these quilts already. Merry Christmas!

Vagabond Quilter said...

Absolutely Stunning Wendy - Wishing you a Merry Christmas and happy stitching over your Christmas break.

Gemini Jen NZ said...

Just glorious! What a marvellous result you've got underway. Good luck with that skinny border, and have a great trip - Merry Christmas!

Maryse said...

Oh, Wendy, I can't believe you are cutting that beautiful edge ...

Recently, I got back to my oldest WIP, a scrappy hexi quilt I started years ago, I thought to bring it along on our Christmas vacation. The top is so close to being finish now. Back then, I had cut a straight edge on two sides, and I have been regretting it. This past few days I have been unpicking to restore that beautiful edge ...

Regardless, whatever you do, I am sure it will look fantastic like everything else you make. :-)

Wishing you a very Merry Christmas!

Kay said...

It looks amazing, you are very brave cutting it. I really must put this on my must sew list. x

Ruth said...

Beautiful! I'm watching to see what you will do since La Passacaglia is on my list.

Mary Marcotte said...

What a glorious quilt it's becoming. Every time I see it, I think of myself doing something like it and immediately rethink that! No way can I see sticking with it beyond maybe a pillow.

Great idea of showing both your quilts together. Yours looks like it uses bolder colors but they are both stunning and will really look good sitting next to each other. You two should discuss quilting while you're looking at the quilts. Ideas play off of each other and who knows what you might come up with just from chatting.

Have a wonderful holiday with your mom and family and enjoy your time together.

Sandi said...

I'm sure whatever you decide Wendy it will be spectacular. You mom's is looking amazing also.

Have a lovely Christmas break. Happy New Year, see you on Instagram.

Joan said...

Gorgeous! Love your choice of fabrics!

Pip said...

I think I would be cutting the edges as well, it makes sense and I think it will look great, are you going to hand quilt or machine quilt? I'm going to be in Auckland over Christmas as well and packing a bit of handwork in my carry-on, like you I would be devastated if I lost my quilt :)

Farm Quilter said...

Merry Christmas!! Have a wonderful holiday. I'm looking forward to the finish of this beautiful quilt!

Rochelle aka Bella Quilts said...

Such a beautiful quilt. Your Mom's reminds me of a mosaic floor. Yours, not so much. I love your work and your ability to stay focused on the finish. Merry Christmas.

Julie said...

I can't wait to see your finished top - I love all the colours you have used. It will very definitely be a "YOU" quilt when it is done. Your Mums reminds me of old floral china plates laid out - very pretty.
Have a great Christmas and New Year.

Live a Colorful Life said...

Your quilt top is simply stunning (your mother's is gorgeous as well). Have a wonderful Christmas. Looking forward to closer friendship in 2016. :)

Wendy said...

This quilt is stunning and i can't believe you've agreed to give it to me when it's done! Have a wonderful christmas x

Ruth said...

I've really enjoyed following your progress on this and love seeing your mum's as well. Such an amazing amount of work and looking beautiful. Really intrigued as to how you will tackle the quilting!

Yvonne from Quilting Jetgirl said...

Merry Christmas, Wendy! Your La Passcaglia is looking so beautiful and I think your idea to sew the first border on before trimming is very wise. I am amazed as the progress you have made on it this year.

Serena @ Sewgiving said...

You certainly are brave cuttibg all those pieces ... if (???) I manage to finish this one I think I'll be in the "appliqué on a border camp ... don't think I could cut those pieces off after labouring to make them. I like your idea of sewing the border on before cuttibg though. Hope you've had a wonderful Christmas and I'm looking forward to seeing what you and your mum get up to over the hols :)

Granny Maud's Girl said...

I am with Serena. I doubt I could bear to cut painstakingly sewn bits off (silly, right?), so I would add more fillers or applique!

NickiJ said...

I would be interested to see how you sewed a skinny border onto your main piece before cutting. Will you post some pics to get an idea of how that is done? I hope you had a wonderful Christmas with your family.