Tuesday 10 June 2014

My Christmas ornaments are finished

Remember how I said last weekend was going to be busy? Well, with my mum's help I did get a lot of things finished. Top of my list of things to finish were these lovely canvas work Christmas decorations.

Christmas Ornaments - Large version
The designs are from Laura J Perin and the pattern is called Holiday Ornaments, Series 2. I decided that rather stitching all 4 designs on one piece of canvas, I would make individual ornaments which could be placed on our Christmas tree. The 4 big ornaments above are for us to keep, and the 5 small ones below are to give away as gifts.

Christmas Ornaments - small version
Each of the large designs is 4.5 inches square on 18 count canvas. The small ones are 3 inches square.

Mum did such a good job of finishing these for me. They're all mounted onto cardboard, and the backs are mounted too. We just used Christmas fabric for the backs.
The back view
Then the gold beading is sewn on, and the tassels and strings are added too. The assembly took much longer than I thought it would, mainly because it's not easy stitching up against cardboard. I"m really grateful for mum's help.

Victoria Sampler Christmas decorations
I also had these two ornaments from The Victoria Sampler lurking in my Christmas decoration box. I'd stitched them a while ago, but I was never happy with how the heart was mounted, so it got a makeover too. These are made from free designs at The Victoria Sampler.


If you'd like to know more about the canvas work decorations, I wrote a couple of earlier posts when I was just starting out in February (click here), and again at the end of March when they were finished (click here).

Now I need to work on assembling my Gingerbread Bakery and Candy Cane Cottage so they are well and truly done before Christmas.


16 comments:

Julie said...

Wow these look great, maybe you need to have a midwinter Christmas, so you can use them now. Always nice to meet another NZ blogger too.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

those are all so pretty - I must pass this on to my daughter she does this type of needle work

Helen@Till We Quilt Again said...

OK! I am impressed! These are wonderful and to start planning now- is what I would call "Being Organized". Beautiful!

Afton Warrick said...

Your ornaments are fantastic heirlooms. I am excited to catch a glimpse of the bakery and cottage.

Wendy said...

they look wonderful! Finishing is pretty time consuming, but worth it I think.

Pink Almond Quilt said...

They're so cute! I have no idea what the canvas work is, so I followed to your Feb posts. It's fantastic! I have to try making this someday.

Granny Maud's Girl said...

You could celebrate Christmas in July, you are so early! They look so very neatly finished and will look amazing on your Christmas tree for many, many years.

Lorraine said...

They turned out beautifully Wendy!

Run 'n Stitch said...

What a lot of work! Your ornaments are beautiful!

Quilting Nonnie said...

Your ornaments are lovely, all those small stitches! The will look perfect on a Christmas tree with the green needles behind them.

Live a Colorful Life said...

How beautiful these are!

kim said...

How beautiful! I can tell you put a ton of work into them. Very nice :)

Vera said...

wow, pretty cool. At fist I thought you pieced all those tiny tiny pieces :-)

Kymberly said...

These are so charming.

Judy@Quilt Paradigm said...

Beautifully done! Definitely heirloom pieces that will be enjoyed for many, many years to come :)

Kelly @ My Quilt Infatuation said...

Those are just beautiful! They will look great on your tree!

Thank you so much for sharing at Needle and Thread Thursday!

:) Kelly @ My Quilt Infatuation