Tuesday 4 March 2014

Ebb Tide Canvas work

A lot of people left lovely comments on my last post about canvas work. Here's another canvas work piece that I made a couple of years ago. It's called 'Ebb Tide' and it's by Linda Lachance of Northern Pine Designs in Canada.

Ebb Tide
My mum purchased the pattern for me in New Zealand, but not all of the threads were available here, so we made some substitutions.  The original pattern is in darker blues, purples and greens, but I chose these lighter colours. You can see the original colours on their website here.

Rhodes stitches in green
Looking back at the pattern now, I made a lot of pencil notes to myself as I was stitching this. This design was more difficult than others that I've done. The large Rhodes stitches are rectangular rather than the usual squares or diamonds. They were particularly challenging to get right, but thinking about it now, I should have marked out each area with normal sewing cotton before I started stitching the Rhodes stitch. Ahh, the tricks you learn along the way!

The threads I used were:
Kreinki for the dark green metallic sections
DMC satin for the purple (5552) and mauve (5211) sections
DMC Jewel Effects (E155)
ColourStreams Ophir 16 Seascape for the yellow, purple, blue sections
Threadworx Overdyed floss 1053 for the green variegated Rhodes stitches
and some beads to finish it off, of course.



This piece sat unframed for a couple of years, but I found a very good framer last year and they always come up with great framing suggestions. I'm really pleased with the purple mounting and the brushed silver frame. 

I also have the Blue Bayou pattern by Linda Lachance but haven't done it yet. Maybe one day!


3 comments:

Lorraine said...

Gorgeous stitching Wendy. The entire piece is lovely but I am really drawn to the border - love the scalloped appearance. I can see LOTS more practice in my future!

Kelly @ My Quilt Infatuation said...

this is really pretty!

Thanks so much for sharing at Needle and Thread Thursday!

:) Kelly @ My Quilt Infatuation

Wendy @ Wendysquiltsandmore said...
This comment has been removed by the author.