Tuesday 11 March 2014

2014 Pantone Quilt Challenge: Radiant Orchid - My finished quilt.

I've finished my Pantone Quilt Challenge quilt and here it is. It's a hand quilted lap quilt measuring 52" by 52". I'll use it every night in the winter when I'm watching TV and stitching.


Kitchen Window in Radiant Orchid

Kitchen Window
The back pieced from fabrics used on the quilt top

When I first read about the Pantone Quilt Challenge, I thought, 'I'd like to try that'. 
I think it's the colour that drew me in. If it had been mustard or brown I wouldn't have been at all interested. But purple! Count me in. 

I din't know what I was going to make initially, but I had been browsing through some modern quilting books and had seen some interesting designs. Before I'd even settled on a design I started shopping for fabrics.


Pristine Poppy in Magenta
I went shopping at my local quilt shop Nancy's, and the first fabric that I liked for the challenge was from  Joel Dewberry's Notting Hill range - Pristine Poppy in magenta.  I snapped that up and some complimentary solids (which have ended up on the back rather than the front).



Having decided on my feature fabric, it was time to settle on a pattern. I chose Kitchen Window by Elizabeth Hartman, from her book The Practical Guide to Patchwork: New Basics for the Modern Quiltmaker. I'm really pleased that I chose that pattern because it's certainly highlighted the feature fabrics and left plenty of space for the purple sashing.


Kitchen Window

I knew that I needed some more fabrics to fill in the windows, and some darker sashing for the edges of the windows, so I visited Stitchbird (also in Wellington) and that's where I found the orange and the pink spots.




I looked up Joel Dewberry's range online, and saw the Primrose and Hourglass fabrics from the Notting Hill range. I ordered a fat quarter of each of them, thinking that they would work well too.




Finally I got the purple spot at Piece by Piece, another quilt shop in Wellington.




To complete my round trip of all the quilting shops in Wellington, I went back to Nancy's and got the dark purple for the window sashing, and Pepper Cory's purple solid for the borders and sashing.




I hand quilted in the ditch with regular quilting cotton, but I also quilted some diagonal lines across the whole quilt in Perle 8 to add interest.

I've really enjoyed this challenge and I'm really pleased with my quilt.Thank you to the organisers - Adrianne from On the Windy Side and Anne from Playcrafts.

You can see many more Radiant Orchid quilts on the Flickr page.

I'll be linking up everywhere with this one:
Sew Cute Tuesday with Blossom Heart Quilts
WOW with Esther
Needle n  Thread Thursday with Kelly
Finish it up Friday with Crazy mom Quilts
Can I get a Whoop Whoop with Confessions of a Fabric Addict

The facts:

The pattern is Kitchen Window by Elizabeth Hartman, from her book The Practical Guide to Patchwork: New Basics for the Modern Quiltmaker.


The feature fabric is from Joel Dewberry's Notting Hill range - Pristine Poppy in magenta. I've also included two other fabrics from that range - Primrose in magenta and Hourglass in tangerine.


The sashing and border fabric is a shot cotton by Pepper Cory.


The finished quilt measures 52" x 52".

25 comments:

Paula said...

Gosh it's beautiful. I really love your choice of fabrics, they are fabulously vibrant.

dorothy said...

I love it! I agree anything purple. But, your fabrics and design just pop. (Linked over via Bonnie Hunter's Facebook page.)

Anonymous said...

Your fabric and pattern choices compliment each other wonderfully!

ChristaQuilts said...

Nice job on the purples! I love the graphic design of this quilt and especially the quilting!

VA said...

I love everything about this quilt--great job! (I found you through Bonnie Hunter's Quiltville Facebook page also)

Tina Craig said...

Love it! I started cutting fabric for a Kitchen Window quilt a couple of weeks ago. It is a great pattern for larger scale prints.

Esther Aliu said...

I'm so impressed that you've made the pantone colour of the year quilt and it's only March! I had planned to make a pantone colour quilt each year...and have an emerald WIP around here somewhere but I can't even remember what year that was now...so it's not an idea that works for me!!

Your Radiant Orchid quilt is a real stunner.

Sarah @ mila+cuatro said...

It looks great, I really like the colour used for the quilting. The back is striking, I love pieced backs.

JB said...

Your hand stitching is very impressive!

Andrea @ Mouse in My Pocket said...

This finish is great! I love how bright and fun it is.

Vera said...

I like the addition of orange. It makes great combo. Well done!

Lynn said...

Wow, that really pops. The colours come together in the simple pattern really well and the quilting really sets it off, well done.

DeborahGun said...

love this - so pretty and bright, and gorgeous hand quilting :-)

PugMom said...

Fabulous quilt! I love purple too!

Molli Sparkles said...

I don't think you'll have to worry about losing that quilt this winter! ;-) I love all things bright and shiny, so I'm lovin' this!

Wendy said...

oh that is lovely! what a great pattern to show off large scale prints. I love the colours

Sue Daurio said...

Front and back that is a beauty!! I LOVE the orchid, purples and oranges with some pink mixed it. Brilliant!

Kim @ TiesThatBindQuilting said...

This looks great and I love the look of the hand quilted diagonal lines! Lovely!

Sarah Craig said...

Very pretty, Wendy! I love your interpretation of Elizabeth's pattern - the purple just sings!! And I especially love that second pic (wink wink!) Whoop whoop for you!!

Adrianne @ On the Windy Side said...

Wow - just looking at this quilt will keep you warm in winter! It's really stunning, and I love how you used purple as a background for the pink and orange feature fabrics. Your hand quilting is amazing too - you must be super speedy! Maybe I'll bump into you at on the Wellington fabric shops one day - they are my local haunts too.

Kelly @ My Quilt Infatuation said...

This is such a beautiful representation of the Radiant Orchid color! I LOVE it! The pieced backing is amazing as well. Great way to add interest and use up some scraps! by the way, thank you so much for your kind comment on my kaleidoscope quilt post. I wanted to let you know that you're showing up as a no-reply blogger.

Thanks for linking up to Needle and Thread Thursday!

:) Kelly @ My Quilt Infatuation

Wendy @ Wendysquiltsandmore said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Soma @ inkTorrents.com said...

It's beautiful, makes me think of stained glass windows. Your hand quilting is also so pretty. I am starting my very first hand-quilting project tomorrow, I hope to quilt like you one day :)

-Soma

Jennie said...

Beautiful quilt - I love the colours you've picked to go with the purple!

Anne said...

Wow, I am a sucker for Joel Dewberry and I loved his Nottinghill line! It's a perfect complement to the purples you've chosen, and the orange just livens up even more. Beautiful quilt and amazing hand quilting!